Client: Large Local Authority
Services: Architecture, Project Management, CDM-C

As part of the Government Sure Start Programme, we were approached to convert a redundant Grade II Listed Old School Building to provide facilities for a Graduated Children’s Centre. The choice of this site followed the outcome of studies into a number of sites within the borough.

 

The former school was built in 1858 by renowned architect George Edmund Street. Considered by many to be one of the greatest gothic architects in Europe, Street also undertook considerable commissions abroad, including building churches in Rome, Constantinople, Geneva, Lausanne and America. His most recognisable building is probably the Royal Courts of Justice, a large grey stone building in Victorian gothic style. He was also President of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) at the time of his death in 1881.

 

Following a small extension to form a new entrance lobby and extensive internal and external repairs, the new centre now provides affordable care facilities for a disadvantaged community. The facility includes a large flexible meeting room for adult education, with associated crèche, a further small meeting room for consultation, office and staff room with reception hatch and public accessible WC.

 

The building also contains a loans library to benefit the community. The centre provides access to health services, including health visitors, midwifery and speech and language therapy. There are parent and toddler groups, and a wide range of family support services assisting parents in their aspirations towards employment and further education.


Challenges:
• Maintaining the Client’s expectations on required facilities and finishes within an existing Grade II Listed Building
• Keeping within a restrictive programme in order to secure funding for the project

Click thumbnails for larger versions
image 1 image 2
image 3 image 4