Client: Private Client
Services: Architecture

We gained planning permission for this impressive new build manor house in the protected rural area of Waltham St Lawrence by forming a close partnership with the client and careful negotiation with the Planning Authority. An existing house constructed in the 1920’s was partly demolished to reveal the remnants of a medieval cottage, which was then retained and preserved separate from, but linked to the main house.

 

The plan was set around a central octagonal double height entrance hall topped with a lantern light supported off exposed oak feature trusses. The formal staircase wraps around the entrance hall. The dining room and study are symmetrically placed either side of the entrance. All main rooms look south across formal gardens.

 

Centrally placed is the main drawing room with large glazed bay, open fire, and this forms a link through to the conservatory. On the west side and linked to the retained cottage is the games room which has exposed oak roof structure. The kitchen and breakfast area are located in the east wing to gain morning sunlight. The orientation of the building as a whole maximises natural sunlight and combined with the thermal mass of the building generates beneficial heat gain outside of the summer months.

 

At first floor level there is an extensive master bedroom suite with south facing balcony looking across formal gardens. Four further bedrooms, most with ensuite facilities are arranged around the octagonal central space.

 

The design has steep sweeping natural clay tile roofs over handmade brick elevations integrating areas of structural timber framing. Each elevation is carefully composed to achieve a natural balance, whilst a high element of delight is created through a series of bays, dormers and decorated window openings.

Click thumbnails for larger versions
image 1 image 2
image 3 image 4
image 5 image 6
image 7 image 8